Wed. Sep 23rd, 2020

Sen. Revilla urges stiffer penalties vs cyber bullying …

Sen. Revilla urges stiffer penalties vs cyber bullying …

Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. wants stiffer penalties against cyber bullying and persons involved in spreading “fake news” on social media.

Ramon Bong Revilla, Jr.
(FACEBOOK / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

In an interview on radio DWIZ Saturday, Revilla said he is mulling to start soon the hearing of the Senate Committee on Public Information and Mass Media on the measure that would penalize “fake news” peddlers and persons who make “offensive” comments online.

Revilla chairs the said Senate panel.

“Ayoko sabihin ng mga tao na ginagamit ko ito para sa pansarili kong kapakanan, kumukuha lang din ako ng timing dahil syempre kung talagang sumusobra na naman — because of the social media, open talaga lahat magkomento ang tao  — pero pag mali na ‘yong ginagawa, sa tingin ko, dapat na nating taasan na ang penalty para para dyan sa cyberbullying na nakakasakit na (I just don’t want people to think that I am using my position for my personal interest. I am just waiting for the right time because of course, if the posts are really offensive — because of social media, people are allowed to comment on whatever — but if they cross the line, I think, penalties should be increased for such cyber bullying),” he said.

“Sa tingin ko malapit na kukuha lang ng buwelo, haharapin ko po ito, at alam ko kasi ‘pag binuksan ko ito katakot-takot din na bash na naman ang aabutin ko (I think we can start soon, I will take this up, and I know that if I open the discussions on this, I would again be subject to enormous bashing).”

The senator bared his plan as he lamented anew the claims about his supposed death after he contracted COVID-19 last month. He has recovered from the infection.

He then disclosed that he will be going after those behind the “fake news” about him as he shared that one local official close to him “almost had a heart attack” due to the claim.

“Sa ngayon naggagather na ako ng mga ebidensya sa kanila, kinausap ko na rin ang PNP at NBI sa mga gumagawa nitong fake news (Right now, I am gathering pieces of evidence against them, I already spoke also to the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation) . Gagalaw na rin sila dyan (They will act on this),” Revilla warned.

Revilla also lamented the attacks against him on social media relating to his implication in the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or “pork barrel” scam.

“Wala po akong kasalanan sa inyo, ang buhay ko ever since ay transparent, alam po ng lahat ng tao, alam ng taong nakulong ako — open book ako — abswelto ako sa kaso, and may ongoing, lalabas na rin ang desisyon (I did not do anything wrong against you, ever since my life has been transparent, the people know that I was detained — I am an open book — I was acquitted, and there are ongoing cases, but the decision will soon come out),” he said.

In July last year, Senate President Vicente Sotto III filed a bill which seeks to penalize those who publish and spread false content on the Internet, and grant the Department of Justice, the NBI, and the PNP to issue and enforce rectification orders, takedown orders, and block-access orders on violating websites.

Meanwhile, last May, Senator Grace Poe also filed a separate proposal to prohibit public officials and employees from spreading false information.

Revilla said he believes that his colleagues will support the anti-fake news measures “since they were a victim of fake news, too.”

“Tignan natin sa tingin ko doon pupunta ‘yan mas mataas na parusa para matakot sila na gumawa ng fake news (I think it will go towards proposing higher penalties so they will be afraid of coming up with fake news),” he added.

SIGN UP TO DAILY NEWSLETTER

CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP

Published at Sat, 12 Sep 2020 03:16:00 +0000

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *